ForumOnline-Shop

Author Topic: What kind of orthodontic appliance do you suggest for my husband's training?  (Read 14832 times)

Offline edit

Hi everybody!

The question in the topic's subject may sound curious so I start with explaining the situation.
My niece got her braces not so long ago, and after we met her with my housband my man dared to tell me that my niece looks so funny with her rail road tracks in her mouth - he used these exact words "rail road tracks" - and that he hardly could stand not to whinny because of the lisp she had due to to her braces. I became extremly angry of him, and I wished that he could feel all that pain and discomforts that my niece must go through, but I told nothing to him. Than suddenly I got the idea. My husbands teeth are far from perfect, he has crowding and there is a gap between his upper and lower jaw, so I started to pick at him with his teeth, and metioning that it would worth to make an appointment with my niece's orthodontist. Finally I managed to convice him, but he constrained that he won't undergo a jaw surgery if that is needed to fix his teeth. It turned out that my niece's orthodontist was my class mate in the secondary school. My first thought was to discuss with her my idea (to put my husband in braces) but than I changed my mind because I was unsure that she can do anything with my husband's teeth without surgery. So I decided to wait until the molds will be evaluated.
But till then I try to collect information adout the different kind of appliances, because if my hope comes true and without surgery my husband can go in braces I want that his braces became as noticable and as unconfortable as possible, and I also want that he became tongued-tied during his years in braces.
If you have any idea or proposal regarding the appliances please inform me - if my man will go in braces I will arrange with my ex-class mate that she will make my husband wear it.

Thanks for your help!
Edit

tingrin

Hey Marty, can you move this to the "General" section? I have some ideas for her, (and probably others too), but they may not be appropriate for this section. That way she can sift through the suggestions made, from mild to wild, and choose what she likes! Thanks!

Offline Marty

• Administrator
done...

Offline John Doe 21

• Silver Member
I would suggest a van beek activator, that is as noticable as it can get.https://dereferer.me/?https://dereferer.me/?http://www.ortholab.nl/en/van-beek-appliance.php

tingrin

For railroad tracks, metal braces with lots of bands of course. Maybe you can insist on all bands? Choo choo! Next visit, "surprise" him with headgear. If it comes up during the evaluation, have your friend say that it won't be needed, of course this will change at the first checkup. He will then get high-pull headgear, to be worn 24/7. Maybe you could get the straps made so they have locks built in, and you could be the owner of the key! That way, you know he can't take it off at work. He will have some explaining to do when people notice the locks! >:D

Offline edit

Still waiting ideas
« Reply #5 on: 16. June 2010, 18:18:33 PM »
Hello everyone!

John Doe 21 & tingrin, thank you for your ideas! I hope others will also help with tips. As I can see according to the already recived ideas it would recommended to equipe my husband with a device that hangs out of his mouth. I like this idea! I'm sure, he even don't know nothing about the existance of such an appliance. I will enjoy that he won't be able to hide his braces, and he will look so dull with it.

By the way, does anyone know any other appliance that is out of the mouth (like the headgear) and highly visible, and can be used with fixed braces?

You may also interested what's the actual situation with my husband's bracing project. Now he is in his spacers, and full of complaints because of the discomfort. I asked my ortho friend to leave my husband in spacers for longer than usual- I have read somewhere that the spacers are quite uncomfortable - and I also talked her about my idea of using the braces to train my husband. To my relief she told me that she is in the game, but she added that she don't want to risk her job, so she will not give me any ideas how to make my husband's treatment more painful, but if I specify what I want to see on my husband she will equipe him with it. During the evaluation my husband has choosen clear breckets - my silly darling thinks that he will have  less noticeable braces -, but later when I talked with my ortho friend between just she and me I asked her to give my husband metal brackets instead of the choosen clear ones, and come up with an excuse for this "slight" modification.

I also found a new way to humilate my husband in this bracing project. I managed to put up him to write a blog about his braces journey. For more fun I hold on to use the username Tin Grin - as an explain I told that it would help him to get used to it, because I will call him like that while he will be in braces. I think that he thought I was just joking with him.

I have one more question. Does anyone knows what appliance cause speach restrictions, like lisp for example. I want my husband to wear such an appliance, so I need to know what to ask from my ortho friend... Thanks for the help!

Edit

tingrin

I hold on to use the username Tin Grin - as an explain I told that it would help him to get used to it, because I will call him like that while he will be in braces.

Hey! I'm the Tingrin here!

May I suggest you call him "Railroad Tracks" instead? He seems to like the sound of that so much already!  >:D Also, just wait until his braces go on and you make him say it... it will be tricky to say the least...

For extra fun, it would be better not to give him everything at once, just keep adding more each visit. Of course at the end of the visit he will be reassured that nothing more will be needed, until the next time, when a new "problem" will arise.

To make him lisp, fixed plastic appliances will do nicely. They would be redundant with the headgear, but could be made so they push very lighty while the headgear still supplies the main force. The plastic on the roof of the mouth will cause lots of speech problems, especially at first. You could even add a lower one after he gets used to the upper!

Offline ami_de_votre

• Platinum Member
Re: Still waiting ideas
« Reply #7 on: 16. June 2010, 21:53:11 PM »
By the way, does anyone know any other appliance that is out of the mouth (like the headgear) and highly visible, and can be used with fixed braces?
a facemask :)

I have one more question. Does anyone knows what appliance cause speach restrictions, like lisp for example. I want my husband to wear such an appliance, so I need to know what to ask from my ortho friend... Thanks for the help!
expanders or a twinblock

Offline bernal1789

• Silver Member
full braces & herbst should do the trick.

Offline duncombec

• Gold Member
For the lisp, I would suggest a tongue crib or something of that sort, whilst metal brackets, if not ful bands are a must for visibility. If he needs elastics, see if you can get coloured ones, rather than the usual latex variants. And headgear, of course...

ppp111

I would not suggest all of it at the same time, he could protest. Here is what I think to be good :

first month, just have him getting his top & bottom brackets and a untight wire, so that he's not really in pain, but everyone see his braces, after three weeks or so, a hard wire tightening.
Second month, have him getting a top expander without pre-notice. At this time, have your ortho friend prescribe him a headgear for 20 hours a day, which he won't wear anyway (; ))

After 8-10 weeks fit a lower expander and two tongue cribs : top and bottom, so that he is really annoyed.

At week 13 (let's say), his ortho will notice he has not been wearing his headgear. Make no comment about it and say she'll adapt his appliances to his progress, and wire it in. Finally, put on a herbst appliance. He'll probably be in pain, but that's what you want, don't you?

Now you can have something like 10 months with 1-2 appointments a month for tightening. Afterwards, wire the HG out, and prescribe a combination headgear-facemask.

So, to sum up

T=0 : brackets and neutral wire
T+3 weeks : awful tightening
T+6 weeks : top expander + HG prescription
T + 9 weeks : bottom expander + two tongue cribs
T+13 weeks : wire in HG + Herbst <<<- For more fun, you can add some ortophonist lessons for more shame
T+15, 18, 20, 23, etc... : Appointment for tightening, he'll ask for removal, say no. + Add 5-6 elastics with complex pattern. Add coil springs for more fun and pain.
T+40 weeks : wire HG out, prescribe facemask + HG + (if you want) neck headgear
T+52 weeks : remove herbst, have him wearing a removable herbst with threat of having fixed herbst put on again
T+60 weeks : remove some devices (I would suggest one tongue crib and the top expander), leave braces, HG, and rubber bands. keep having appointments regularily. feel free to wire HG in again, especially the facemask. He'll believe it's the end, however it wont be ; )
T+ 100 weeks: remove all but braces.
T+ 120 weeks : remove all, have him wearing huge retainers with HG if you like. Don't forget the bound contention wire, which can be as thick as you like.

I'm sure he'll cry ;)

Offline edit

Thaks for everyone for being so helpful in giving me ideas of how to discipline my husband with braces. I'm glad to inform you that the project has succesfully started. He initailly asked for clear braces but for my request my ortho friend managed to convince him to choose the traditional metal ones. He has his upper braces on since two weeks. He already started to handle the discomfort caused by his "mouthwear", so I asked my ortho friend to install him an expander. My husband got his new appliance yesterday, and now he has a funny lisp. I keep mock him because his lisp, and for make him feel more unconfortable I try to get him on to visit a speech therapist, but he tells that it's only because his expander and it won't be on for long. I think I ask my ortho friend to inform him, that he must deal whis that lisp as long as he has braces - which I want to see on him at least fo three years! I try to keep you update with the project, and if you have questions or ideas don't hesitate to send them to me!

Offline duncombec

• Gold Member
You said you were going to get him to write a blog - did you manage that? If so, could you share the address with us?

But everything seems to be going to plan - yours, that is!

Offline edit

Yes, of course I managed to get my husband to write a blog about his 'braces journey'. Initially he even didn't wanted to hear about the blog but he has changed his mind after I told him that if he don't start to write a blog I will do it. I created for him the https://dereferer.me/?https://dereferer.me/?http://tinfoilface.blogspot.com/ to put on there all those things that happens with him and his braces and he wrote there, but lately he found a forum and decided to contine there his blog - you can check out here: https://dereferer.me/?https://dereferer.me/?http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/blogs/geri/ . I'm quite unhappy that he disregarded the blog I created for him, so I will make him update that! If you wish you can leave him some comments (it would even encourage him, that it worth to continue his blog) , but please be cautious, of course he don't know nothing about that I want to discipline him with the braces, and he is absolutly unaware the next steps (I mean spikes, headgears, facemask...).

You may also interested in that it turned out that it was my ortho friend, who made a better smile for Miss Hungary 2008 with lingual braces. She even tells a few words in the videoclip: https://dereferer.me/?https://dereferer.me/?http://www.rtlklub.hu/hirek/fokusz/video/10223

Offline bigtime

• Platinum Member
You are an amazing wife. I'd love to do this!